More than 130 people are believed to have died in a series of bomb attacks across Sri Lanka.
Three hotels – the Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury – were all targeted, with nine foreign tourists reportedly among the dead.
Coming early on Easter Sunday, three churches – in Negombo, Batticaloa and capital Colombo’s Kochchikade district – were also hit during services.
No group has yet said it was responsible for the attack as investigations continue.
A hotel official at the Cinnamon Grand reported to Agence France-Presse that the explosion there had ripped through a restaurant, killing at least one person.
Rumours have been reported of more attacks and police have told people to stay inside their houses and remain calm.
President Maithripala Sirisena issued a statement calling for people to remain calm and support the authorities in their investigations.
Since the end of a long-running civil war in 2009 Sri Lanka has enjoyed a relatively peaceful period.
This has seen the local tourism sector boom, with 2.3 million guests arriving last year.
The British Foreign & Commonwealth Officer advised nationals in Sri Lanka to follow the advice of local authorities.
Published at Sun, 21 Apr 2019 09:03:34 +0000